When you have teeth missing from your mouth, there are a variety of solutions that you can use to restore your smile and confidence. Two of the most popular options are dentures and dental implants. What are some of the benefits of these procedures, and which one is a better fit for your specific needs? This blog post will answer these questions! Read on to learn more.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a permanent solution to missing teeth. They are installed directly into your mouth using metal posts that are anchored in your jaw. Dental implants have an artificial tooth to cover the post of the implant, and this can be customized to match the surrounding teeth perfectly. Dental implants can be used to replace a single tooth or multiple teeth, depending on your specific needs.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Many patients experience a permanent improvement in their quality of life after receiving dental implants solely due to the benefits of implants. Some of the biggest benefits of getting dental implants include:
- – A flawless, natural looking smile
- – No need to change your lifestyle, as dental implants look and function like normal teeth
- – Improved comfort
- – Incredible durability, as dental implants can last for your entire lifetime with proper care
- – More self-confidence
Who Is a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Beyond offering plenty of benefits, dental implants are also a great option because they can be a safe solution for many different types of patients. Some of the things that make you a good candidate for a dental implant include:
- – You have good overall oral health
- – You have at least one missing tooth
- – You can commit to the entire dental implant process, which may last multiple months
- – You are not a smoker
- – You have adequate jawbone to receive an implant or you are willing to have a bone graft to add to what bone you have
Some of the things that might decrease the efficacy of a dental implant include alcoholism, smoking, jaw radiation, untreated or advanced gum disease, and taking certain medications that can prevent proper healing. Every patient is different, so speaking with your dentist openly is important.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures are oral appliances that can be removed from your mouth, unlike dental implants. Dentures can be used to replace all of your teeth or only a portion of them depending on your needs. In order to replace your teeth, dentures will sit on top of your gums and be attached to the surface using an adhesive. To avoid damage to your gums, you will typically need to remove the dentures each night.
What Are the Benefits of Dentures?
Dentures are generally more affordable than dental implants, so some patients opt for them based on that factor alone. They are also fairly easy to maintain, as you simply need to clean them and store them in a cleaner or a glass of water when you are not wearing them. Similar to dental implants, dentures are customized to your mouth and preferences, so you can receive a complete transformation.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Dentures?
Another benefit of dentures is that they can be used in situations where dental implants are not feasible. Some of the signs that you are a good candidate for dentures include:
- – You are missing multiple teeth or are about to have multiple teeth extracted
- – You have healthy gum tissue and sufficient jawbone remaining
- – You are missing all of your teeth on the top, bottom, or top and bottom of your mouth
- – You have chipped, broken, or damaged teeth on top of missing teeth
Your dentist can evaluate you for dentures in Chestermere and help you make sure you are making the right choice for your specific needs and situation. Everyone deserves to have a great smile!